The Tactical Edge
Widely considered the leading authority in tactical operations information, The Tactical Edge reaches approximately 50,000 law enforcement officers from more than 8,000 agencies and divisions in both digital and print. For more than 35 years, our award-winning journal has been on the forefront of law enforcement publications, featuring lifesaving information from a legion of seasoned experts. Articles focus on current tactical and patrol topics as well as a section on crisis negotiation.
Place your company’s message in our highly-esteemed publication and become a part of the trustworthy image NTOA imparts through publishing training and library resources. To download our media kit, click here
The NTOA welcomes submissions from current members and selected non-members. Authors should follow the following guidelines:
- Please submit an original manuscript in electronic format, faxes will not be accepted. Complete contact information should be provided, including law enforcement affiliation, daytime phone and e-mail address
- Articles should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as email attachments in Microsoft Word. Please include a recent head-and-shoulder photo of the author and brief biographical sketch of law enforcement background
- All articles are peer reviewed by NTOA subject-matter experts before approval for publication
- The NTOA reserves the right to edit manuscripts. These edits could include changes to clarify the story, improve the writing, trim the length or ensure that an article meets our stylistic guidelines found in the Associated Press Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style.
- Articles should be written in third-person narrative, (First-person narrative will be considered at editor’s discretion.)
- Digital photos are preferred, but color prints are acceptable. The NTOA reserves the right to crop photos. All photos must include captions keyed to photo file name.
- Digital photos must be a minimum of 300 dpi resolution (600 dpi is preferred) and at least 3 x 5 inches (8 x 10 inches preferred). The size should be as close to 1mb as possible. Use a 3-megapixel or higher camera on the best-quality jpg or tif setting. Photos embedded in Word or PowerPoint files, or images copied from the Internet are unacceptable and cannot be used.
- If illustrations, charts or graphs are used, please verify that you have the right to publish these.
- NTOA reserves the right to disseminate submitted photos as needed for website, advertisements, etc
- Feature articles typically run 1,500 to 2,500 words. We welcome focused articles of 1,000 words or less, and consider in-depth articles of 3,000 words.
- You must inform us if your article has been previously published and if another publication holds copyright to the article.
- In consideration of being published in The Tactical Edge, the submitting author(s) agrees that NTOA may reprint, reproduce and disseminate as determined by the Executive Director of the NTOA.
- The NTOA will not publish articles that are advertorial in nature and/or promoting the author’s company, training or product.
- The NTOA does not offer monetary compensation for articles published.
Articles should be sent to the Editor