About the Member Tested and Recommended Program
NTOA members have tested more than 2,000 products in real-world situations through the NTOA’s Member Tested and Recommended Program (MTRP) since 2003. Results of these tests are shared with the law enforcement community inThe Tactical Edge magazine, our online database, our eNewsletters and theproduct manufacturers themselves. The MTRP logo is widely displayed on product packaging, ads and websites, and is regarded by many law enforcement agencies as paramount to their product purchasing decisions.
Starting in 2018, the logo rating scale is as follows: 3.00 – 3.99 receives the standard logo, 4.00 – 4.49 receives the silver logo, and 4.50 – 5.00 receives the gold logo. Manufacturers may use the logo on marketing materials, ads or websites for only the product
that earned the logo.
The Member Tested logo will be valid for two years, starting in 2018. After two years, the manufacturer must either resubmit the
product for new testing or pay the renewal fee if the product has not changed in any way. Products that score lower than 3.0 will not
receive approval. Test results will be sent to the manufacturer in hopes that improvements can be made to the product. Products can
be resubmitted to the program. There is no guarantee of a particular rating upon submission – NTOA does not control the comments of the field testers. The NTOA, as an organization, makes no representation as to the product submitted to the program or its use, effectiveness or safety. The only representations and warranties applicable to any particular product are those of the manufacturer.
MTRP field test results do not constitute an endorsement of any product on the part of the NTOA as an organization or entity. The NTOA does not independently verify the information submitted by field testers nor does the NTOA verify the representations and warranties or product manufacturers.
How the Program Works
1. A manufacturer MUST provide the NTOA with 2 to 4 samples of a product. (Four product samples is preferred.)
2. Products MUST BE THE SAME version as those sold/ available to the law enforcement community.
3. The NTOA selects members to test the product samples.
4. Field testers are required to test the product sample and complete an online review form within 45 – 60 days.
5. Products will be tested and scored on a scale of 0.0 to 5.0 in 13 possible categories (not all categories are applicable). Scores will be averaged both individually and cumulatively.
A product must have the ability to be rated in at least six categories. In addition to the numerical rating, a short written description identifying the advantages and disadvantages of the product must be submitted with the ratings from the field testers. Products will be tested by at least two field testers to ensure a fair test, no exceptions. (Four testers are preferred.)
If a product has a very specific use, please indicate the use so we can properly place the product with a qualified field tester.
3. Ease of Use
10. Application for LE
• $250 processing fee per product submitted
• Different sponsorship levels receive a certain number of free product submissions to the program. Please consult our Sponsorship Agreement for exact details.
Please note that this is not a product endorsement from the NTOA, it is a recommendation by a field tester for the law enforcement community. The NTOA Member Tested and Recommended program is designed as a service to assist the association’s membership in selecting the best products available to the tactical community. NTOA does not provide a warranty, expressed or implied, or guarantee any of the products that have been tested and approved. NTOA assumes no liability for the use or misuse of any of the featured products.